Summer Squash And Quinoa
Summer squash and quinoa can be a pretty great side dish or meatless main salad. You will be hooked to it because it is very delicious and very easy to prepare. What you serve with this salad matters a lot. The following are some of the fun ideas for serving it.
- Serve a large scoop of the salad on top of your favorite vegetables or greens with a little drizzle of olive oil.
- Serve the salad while it is still warm alongside grilled chicken or tofu.
- Chill the salad in the fridge and then toss some chicken peas in it while going on a picnic.
- Stir the salad in your favorite protein in order to make a full meal.
You can get as creative as you want when serving this salad. It is not going to disappoint with most food combinations. Most importantly, it is a healthy salad that is going to benefit your body greatly if you take it more often.
Summer Squash and Quinoa Recipe
- Preparation time: 15 minutes
- Cooking time: 25 minutes
- Servings: 4 – 6
- 3 medium zucchini (sliced into half moons)
- 2 large ripe tomatoes (chopped into 1 inch pieces)
- 2 medium yellow squash (sliced into half moons)
- 1 cup of quinoa
- 1 tablespoon of oil
- Salt and pepper (to taste)
- 1/3 cup of toasted slivered almonds or pine nuts
Lemon Basil Dressing:
- 1 teaspoon of Dijon mustard
- 1 large lemon (juiced)
- 1/2 teaspoon of freshly grated garlic
- 1/3 cup of extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup of chopped basil leaves
How to Prepare
- First and foremost, you will need to preheat your oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
- After that, toss the squash, sliced zucchini and tomatoes with olive oil as well as a pinch of pepper and salt.
- Spread the ingredients on a baking pan in a single layer (you may be required to use more than one pan) and then put the pan in the oven. You need to make sure that the vegetables are in one layer to become crispy. Otherwise, they may become steamed. Allow them to cook for about 15 to 18 minutes or until they turn golden brown and almost caramelized.
- Go ahead and make the quinoa while the squash is still cooking and then bring two cups of water to a boil in a medium-sized pot. After that, add the quinoa to the pot and then reduce the heat to low. Cover the pot and allow its contents to cook for about 12 minutes or until the water is completely absorbed.
- After 12 minutes have elapsed, remove the pot from heat and allow it to sit for five minutes without removing the lid. Fluff the quinoa gently and then transfer it to a large bowl and then add to it the cooked squash and tomatoes.
- Take the silvered almonds and put them on the baking sheet in a single layer and then put them in the oven. Allow them to toast for about 2 to 3 minutes or until they turn golden brown. Watch carefully and make sure that they do not burn. After the three minutes have elapsed, take the almonds and put them to the bowl that has quinoa and vegetables.
- Next, you will need to whisk the Dijon, lemon juice and grated garlic together in a bowl until the garlic and Dijon are completely dissolved. After that, whisk the olive oil slowly into the bowl and then add freshly ground pepper and salt, and then stir in the basil.
- Once you have done that, add dressing to the quinoa mixture and then toss until properly combined. After that, season to taste and then serve.
You can eat this squash and quinoa recipe for dinner, brunch or lunch. It is light, flavorful and packed with a lot of ingredients that are going to benefit you greatly. If you do not want to eat it immediately, you can refrigerate it and then warm it later on when you are ready to eat. Being a dish that only takes about 40 minutes to prepare and cook, it will be great if you usually like spending as little time as possible in your kitchen. You will not have a hard time sourcing the ingredients because they are readily available. Whether you are a professional chef or someone that is just learning how to cook, you are going to have an easy time preparing and cooking it.