Salted caramel brownies are a nice chocolate treat that you definitely want to give a try this Easter holiday. They feature an ingenious combination of dark bittersweet chocolate and blond bittersweet caramel. You can easily adjust the bitter sweetness of the caramel by using either less of it if you prefer a milder taste or more of it if you prefer a stronger or edgier taste. Since these brownies are very easy to prepare, they are going to become a favorite in your household. You will not just prepare them during the Easter holiday and forget all about them. Even if you try to avoid them, you cannot manage because your family members will be on your neck demanding that you prepare them.
Salted Caramel Brownies Recipe
- Preparation and cooking time: 1 hour 15 minutes
- Servings: 2 dozen brownies
For the caramel:
- 1 cup or 200 grams of granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup or 120 milliliters of heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons or 30 milliliters of light corn syrup
- 1/4 cup or 115 grams of sour cream
- 3/4 teaspoon of salt (plus a little more to taste)
For the brownies:
- 1 1/4 cups or 150 grams of all purpose flour
- 2 sticks or 225 grams of unsalted butter (cut into 1 inch cubes, and more for greasing the pan)
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- 11 ounces or 300 grams of dark chocolate (coarsely chopped)
- 2 tablespoons of unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2 cup or 105 grams of firmly packed light brown sugar
- 1 1/2 cups or 300 grams of granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons of vanilla extract
- 5 eggs (at room temperature)
- Coarse sugar and flaky salt (for sprinkling)
How to Prepare
Making the Caramel:
- Combine the sugar and corn syrup with a quarter cup of water in a medium saucepan and then bring to a boil. Cook over high heat while stirring gently until the temperature of the mixture reads 350 degrees on an instant-read thermometer or until the mixture becomes dark amber in color. This should take about 8 minutes.
- After that, remove the saucepan from heat and then slowly pour in the heavy cream and salt and then whisk. Take the sour cream, whisk it in the mixture and then set it aside to cool. You will need to taste the mixture and add salt if there is need to do so in order to give the caramel a good balance of sweet and salty.
Making the Brownies:
- Heat your oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit and then use butter to lightly grease a baking pan. After that, line the bottom of the pan with a sheet of parchment paper and spray the parchment or add butter to it.
- Whisk together the flour, cocoa powder and salt in a large bowl and then melt the chocolate and butter together. You can melt them either in a microwave at low heat or in the top of a double boiler that is set over simmering water. Make sure that butter and chocolate are melted and combined and then whisk in the sugars. After that, set aside the mixture to cool at room temperature.
- Add the eggs one at a time to chocolate mixture and whisk just until combined using a sturdy whisk, and then stir in vanilla.
- After that, take the chocolate mixture and gently pour it over the flour mixture. Fold together the mixture using a spatula until just few streaks of flour are visible. Be careful not to over mix.
- Take the batter and pour it into a pan and let it settle. Take the caramel sauce and drizzle it over the batter until it is almost covered.
- Using the tip of a butter knife or icing spatula, swirl the batter and caramel together on the surface.
- After doing that, bake it for about 30 to 40 minutes. Make sure that you rotate the pan half-way through the baking. At the 30 or 40 minute mark, you will need to shake the pan gently in order to test for doneness. The brownies will be barely set in at the center and puffed around the edges when ready but not so dry. Remove them from the oven and then immediately sprinkle coarse sugar and salt on them.
- Allow the brownies to cool to room temperature before you go ahead to cut them. After cutting the brownies, drizzle the remaining caramel over the top and then keep them in the refrigerator until you are ready to serve.
I dare you to make these salted caramel brownies just once and you will be hooked to them. Their smell and taste is irresistible. They take a pretty good amount of time to prepare, but it will be worth it considering how delicious and healthy they are. For the best results, make sure that you use chocolate with the right amount of 70 percent and 50 percent cocoa solids. By doing so, you will make brownies that have a rich and fudgy texture.