One of the greatest joys in life is potatoes. And cheese. Lots and lots and lots of cheese. Oh and bacon. Duh. How could I forget?
Growing up, I don’t think I ever had homemade potato au gratin. My family always made the from-the-box super thinly sliced dehydrated “potatoes” with some powdered stuff. Such a shame. When I got older and started cooking for myself, I realized how much people miss out on flavor when they only cook from the box or from store mixes. And when I got my first cast iron skillet, I fell instantly in love. Now, I cook in cast iron about 80% of the time. My kids aren’t particularly picky eaters anymore (thank goodness for that!), but even when they were, they’d gobble up anything in a skillet. Can you blame them? Everything tastes better in a cast iron skillet. Potatoes are no exception.
You could make this in a casserole dish too. But skillets feel so homey and rustic, don’t they? I think this meal, paired with a nutrient-dense salad is the perfect comfort food for a rainy spring dinner.
What’s your favorite skillet meal?
- 3 large potatoes
- 1 medium onion
- 6 strips bacon
- 2 Tbs flour
- 2 cups milk
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese (plus more, if desired)
- 1 bunch green onions
- 1 small container sour cream
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- salt, to taste
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Peel potatoes and slice in about ¼ inch slices.
- Dice onion.
- In skillet over medium heat, fry bacon until crisp.
- Remove to a plate lined with paper towels.
- Pour bacon grease into saucepan.
- In saucepan (over medium heat), add flour into bacon grease, stirring to combine (you want to cook for a couple of extra minutes, to brown the flour).
- Slowly add milk while whisking.
- Continue cooking sauce until thickened 5-10 minutes (keep stirring so it doesn't burn!).
- Add 1 cup cheese into sauce and stir until melted.
- In skillet, layer potato slices and onion.
- Sprinkle thyme and salt on top.
- Carefully pour sauce over potatoes.
- Sprinkle 1 cup of cheese on top.
- Bake for 45 minutes to 1 hour, or until cheese is bubbling and potatoes are cooked.
- Top with more cheese (if desired), bacon, sour cream, and green onions.