Loaded Skillet Potato au Gratin
This is a recipe that you definitely want to give a try if you love smashed potatoes. Mashed potatoes in any form are good, but the loaded skillet potato au gratin recipe adds a wonderful punch that will help you make the most amazing potatoes that everyone in your family will love. While it may look like a very basic recipe, it is an exceedingly delicious dish will become very common in your kitchen once you give it a try once. Since its ingredients are readily available, you can be making them every day or a number of times every week if you desire. If you serve this dish to people you love, I can guarantee you that they are going to appreciate you and love you back. Just make sure that you prepare enough of it because chances are that your loved ones will demand more of it. It is very delicious.
Loaded Skillet Potato au Gratin Recipe
- Preparation Time: 10 minutes
- Cooking Time: 60 minutes
- Servings: 8
- 8 ounces of bacon (chopped)
- 1 1/4 cup of heavy cream
- 3 russet potatoes (about 2 lbs, peeled and sliced1/4 inch thick)
- 1/2 cup of sour cream
- 6 scallions (chopped)
- Butter (for the pan)
- 1 cup of sharp yellow cheddar cheese (grated)
How to Prepare
- First, you will need to preheat the oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit or 190 degrees Celsius.
- After that, put the bacon into a cold pan then place the pan on the stovetop. Turn heat to medium high and then cook the bacon while stirring occasionally until it becomes crispy. After that, remove the bacon and put it on a paper plate that has towel lining.
- Put the heavy cream and the sour cream in a medium-sized bowl and then whisk them together until they become smooth. After that, set the cream mixture aside.
- Take a 3 quart casserole dish and butter it. Make a layer on the bottom of the casserole dish using 1/3 of the sliced potatoes and then top with a 1/3 of the scallions, 1/3 of the bacon and 1/3 of the cheese. After that, take a 1/3 of the heavy cream mixture that you just made and pour it over the top and then repeat twice to make three layers of potatoes.
- Cover the gratin with foil. (In case you are preparing ahead of time, you will need to refrigerate the foil-wrapped casserole till the time when you are ready to bake) Put the foil-covered gratin into your oven and then cook for one hour or so.
- After one hour has elapsed, remove the foil and then cook for another fifteen minutes or until it turns brown and crispy on top.
If you have leftover smashed potatoes, preparing this loaded skillet potato au gratin will be a great way to use them. Otherwise, you can just make the dish from scratch. Make sure that you scrub the potatoes properly so that they are very clean. When slicing the potatoes, make sure that they are not too thick or too thin. Moderate slices are perfect.
Absolutely anyone can manage to make this recipe. It is one of the easiest recipes you will ever come across and it does not take much of your time. If you have been really craving carbs, or another member of your family has, the loaded skillet potato au gratin will the best way to deal with those cravings. The dish is also loaded with proteins, fiber, fat, and good cholesterol. When you eat, you can be sure that you are eating something that is going to benefit your health greatly.
When it comes to the loaded skillet potato au gratin recipe, it does not matter if you are a fabulous cook or not. As you can see for yourself, the procedure for making it is very simple and the ingredients are readily available. So if you have never cooked before and are looking for simple recipes that you can start practicing with in your kitchen, this one will not disappoint. It is also a perfect recipe for people that have their own restaurants and hotels. If you add it to your menu, I can guarantee you that you will get a lot of customers who love it. It is perfect for brunch, lunch or dinner. If you do not mind, it can also be great for breakfast.