Carrot and Beet Salad with Spicy Mustard Dressing
This is one of the easiest salads that you can ever make in your kitchen. It is a really delicious salad that will be ideal for summer picnics and barbecues. It is bursting with carotenoids, it is great for your skin and also has an anti-oxidant effect. When you serve it at barbecues, it will be a great idea to serve it alongside grilled meats or fish. Adding the beets to the carrots does not cause any kind of quantum shift. What it simply does is add a deeper and sweeter note to the chord. The beet also colors the whole dish with the infectious purple enthusiasm of the beetroot. I can guarantee you that you will love this salad if you give it a try just once. It will become your favorite go-to lunch whenever you do not feel like spending a lot of hours in the kitchen cooking comprehensive meals.
Carrot and Beet Salad with Spicy Mustard Dressing Recipe
- Servings: 4
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- 1 pound of baby carrots (peeled, half inch of green with top left on)
- 1/4 lb of Feta cheese
- 1 lb of baby beets (cleaned but not peeled)
- 1/4 C Cumin vinaigrette
- 1 tablespoon of extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 C of pulled fresh flat-leaf parsley
How to Prepare
- You will need to start by preheating your oven to 450 degrees Fahrenheit.
- After that, take a large pot of water and then bring it to a vigorous boil and then add one teaspoon of salt. After that, add the carrots and then blanch for one minute. Remove the pot and transfer it to a bowl of ice water in order to stop the cooking. Once you are sure that the bowl is cool, remove it and set it aside.
- Next, you will need to put the beets in a large pot that has cold water and then bring it to a boil. After that, add in the pot the remaining 1/2 teaspoon of salt and then simmer till the beets become tender. You will need to rub the skin off the beets by straining them and then peel it off using paper towels. It will be easier to remove the skin from the beets when they are still warm. Once you have done that, crumble feta and then set it aside.
- In this step, you will need to take the carrots and toss them with 1/2 tablespoon of olive oil and then put them on a rimmed baking sheet that has been cut in half. After that, toss the carrots with the remaining olive oil and then put them on the other half of the baking sheet. Roast the carrots and beets in an oven for about 15 minutes.
- After 15 minutes have elapsed, remove the carrots and beets from the oven and they put them in separate bowls. Take one tablespoon of the vinaigrette and add it to the bowl. After that, take a 1/2 cup of the parsley and add it to the beets and then toss. Once you have done that, add a tablespoon of the vinaigrette, the feta, and the remaining parsley to the carrots and then toss.
- The next thing you will need to do is evenly divide the carrots among six plates and then evenly divide the beets among the same plates. Mix the carrots and the beets together gently and then drizzle with an additional touch of the vinaigrette.
For the vinaigrette
- 1 teaspoon of Dijon mustard
- 2 teaspoons of sherry vinegar
- 1/2 cup of extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon of freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon of finely chopped fresh mint
- 1 teaspoon of cumin seeds (toasted in a dry pan & then pulverized)
- Salt and black pepper (freshly ground)
How to Prepare
- Take the Dijon mustard and then place it in a bowl. Add oil to the bowl and whisk, and then add sherry vinegar and lemon juice and continue whisking.
- Follow up with the mint and cumin and then season with the freshly ground pepper and salt to taste.
You do not need to use all of the vinaigrette at once. You can put the remaining in a fridge and it will last for 10 days.
When preparing the spicy mustard dressing, you can be flexible with the ingredients according to how you want the dressing to taste like. Apart from the ingredients mentioned above, others that you can use to prepare the dressing include honey, cayenne and garlic clove. Just make sure that you mix the ingredients thoroughly for mustard dressing to taste great. If whisking the ingredients together does not seem to produce the best results, you can puree in a blender or small food processor.
Beets are a favorite among many chefs in restaurants, but most people tend to avoid cooking them at home. Instead of waiting until you go to fine restaurants to eat them, why not prepare them yourself at home? If you were not sure about how to make them before, now you have the recipe that makes the process absolutely easy for you. I can assure that they are going to taste great if you combine them with the carrots and the other ingredients mentioned above.
Do not be discouraged to try the beats simply by looking at them. Even though their colorful leafy stems as well as the rough exteriors may look intimidating, they are not hard at all to make. It takes very few minutes to prepare them and cooking them is absolutely easy especially when you using an oven. Overall, this is a great dish that will be worth your time in the kitchen. It is not just the beets that matters in the ingredients, but also every other ingredient that it is comprised of.
This salad will be great to go with another meal during lunch supper. You can prepare it as dessert. But if you just want to eat a light meal, it can also be served as the main course. Smaller carrots and beets will be the best for preparing it because the rounds will fit neatly on the fork end. If you have large carrots and beets, it will be a good idea to slice or grate them.