It’s January 5th. Do you know where your New Year’s resolution is? You know, that pesky one named “Eat Healthier”?
This salad is raw, vegan, healthy, inexpensive and simple. There’s no excuse for not making this! Make a big, huge, monstrously large batch on Sunday and you will have lunch already made for the week. Toss in some orange slices or blueberries for excitement. Nix the walnuts and opt for almonds instead. Throw in some quinoa or wild rice.
Just please leave the beets in.
Poor beets. So under-appreciated. So beautiful, yet so misunderstood. It’s time to let this ruby-red root veggie shine in all its detoxifying, antioxidant, nutrient-rich glory.
- 1 bunch of kale
- 1 grated carrot
- 1 peeled and grated beet
- 2 sliced radishes
- 1/4 cup walnuts
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 2 Tablespoons stone ground mustard
- 1 Tablespoon chili sauce
- Sea salt and fresh cracked pepper to taste
- Remove stems from kale and discard.
- Chop kale into bite-sized pieces.
- Clean and peel carrot and beet, then grate.
- Slice radishes.
- Chop walnuts.
- Toss together with dressing.
- Combine dressing ingredients in a container with a lid.
- Shake until ingredients combine well. Use a tablespoon or two on salad.
- Wear gloves while working with beets unless you want your hands to be a pretty shade of pink. IF you do get it on your skin though, lemon juice will get it off.